|The Leigh River, Shelford|
|Golf Hill, copyright The Australian Heritage Photographic Library|
Russell eventually expanded the property to an area of about 28,000 acres - around two fifths of the original holding. He died at Golf Hill in 1888 and it passed to his bachelor son who ran the property with the aid of his youngest sister, Janet. After the death of her brother, Janet, along with her husband John Biddlecombe, took over the estate and established one of the best Hereford studs in the country, channelling much of the profit from the business into acts of philanthropy - not unlike another widow - Elizabeth Austin - whose pioneering husband established his property Barwon Park not too far away at Winchelsea.
The majority of the Golf Hill land was eventually sold for subdivision into soldier settlement blocks following the Second World War.
|Plaque showing the original subdivision of Golf Hill and the nearby|
Shelford Estate into solder settlement blocks
|Shelford Presbyterian Church established with the assistance of George Russell.|
Reproduction rights held by the State Library of Victoria
It was also in this year that a bridge was first built to cross the Leigh. This earliest bridge was a timber construction which was replaced in 1873/1874 by a wrought iron box girder bridge which still stands today. It is one of only a small number of this style of bridge surviving in Victoria.
|The newly-built bridge over the Leigh River at Shelford. George Russell's|
Presbyterian Church can be seen to the right behind the bridge. Reproduction
rights held by the State Library of Victoria
|The Shelford bridge of 1874 in July, 2013|