The subject in question is the decommissioned Geelong B Power Station, situated in North Geelong. The plant was officially opened on the 8th October, 1954 by the State Electricity Commission (SEC) to supply the grid with an extra 30,000 kilowatt capacity. In its day, it was the largest steam-driven power plant in the state outside of Yallourn. It was constructed under contract for the SEC from a package purchased from the USA and supplied electricity until its decommissioning in 1970. During its final few years of operation the plant operated only during periods of peak demand as the facilities in the Latrobe Valley were more economical to run.
|An aerial view of Geelong Power Station B, image held by Museum Victoria|
|Curator Ian Ballis making some alterations|
|The Incredible Hulk...a work in progress...|
|Jane Doe, painted by Rone|
|Marilyn Monroe as painted by local artist Jessie Blackney|
The artwork takes many forms, from the more traditional graffiti inspired styles
|Piece by Cax One|
|Nymph by Mark Taylor of CLAP Meataxe Design|
|Making a local statement|
|Piece by Dest|
Nor is all the art on the walls. In addition to the murals there are individual canvasses and other pieces such as a car, a caravan and a number of mannequins which are being treated in a variety of fashions.
|3D doodle art|
|Cyborgs - a vision of the future?|
Some artists like to poke a little fun, or just make the most of an opportunity...
|Sushi cat, a combined effort from Melbourne's wewf crew|
|It's a sign!|
But that is a story for another post...
|Putting it in perspective|